Please click here

Friday, June 11, 2010

Mirror Image





So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.


 I take for granted the fact that I have a mother who constantly admonishes me to love myself and to embrace what God has created. I can recall times when my mother would tell my sisters and I how beautiful we were and how we should never let anyone tell us otherwise.  This was clearly a lesson in creating self esteem. Often we think about children having low self esteem but contrary to popular belief adults suffer too. How many of us have looked in the mirror and frowned at our height, complexion or weight? A lack of self esteem leads to issues that steer us away from what God has outlined for us and is simply not of God!

Why do we settle for a guy or girl that devalues us? Why do we settle period? God has made us in his own image. He is perfect! Therefore we are. Although the Bible states:

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Romans 12:3

The Bible warns us not to think more highly than we ought. It does not forbid us to think highly of ourselves, but simply not to think more highly.

You may be wondering, If I am created in God's image why does it hurt to look in the mirror?
 
A mirror does not necessarily reflect exactly what you look like, but what the maker of the mirror wants you to see. The mirror of God’s Word does not only reflect what you look like to you and others, but it shows how God sees you in Christ. 

God does not look at us from a natural standpoint—such as how well we behave—but He sees us through redemption. He sees that we are complete in Christ.
            
Too many times instead of looking at ourselves from the standpoint of what the Bible says about us, we look at ourselves through the eyes of our own natural understanding. When we do we can’t see the reality of what God has done for us because we are not seeing ourselves in Christ.

I urge you to go ahead and look in the mirror to see what God has created. Because he created you, you are PRICELESS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment